YOUR FIRST ALEXANDER TECHNIQUE LESSON
- Begin learning how to recognize and understand patterns of unnecessary tension in your own everyday movements, postures, and activities.
- Experience trained hands-on guidance and instruction to help you improve your personal health and performance using the Alexander Technique.
- Enhance your understanding of how you move anatomically.
- Start applying the principles of the Alexander Technique to move, posture yourself, and be in your life and work with less strain and more ease.
- Private lessons are currently in Mark’s home studio, near Vancouver Community College (Broadway).
- Ample free parking
- Studio is safely and easily accessible by public transportation
Please contact Mark for current availability.
HOW MANY LESSONS
A single lesson is always recommended to start. This can help you determine if the Alexander Technique is right for you at this time.
Following this, and with your goals in mind, the number of lessons depends on how much you apply the Technique between lessons, the condition you are in when you first start, and how far you would like to take it. For most students:
- An introductory course of 10 lessons provides a solid personalized introduction
- Most students report a frequency of 1-2 lesson per week as key for learning during their introductory course of lessons
- A basic course of between 20-30 lessons can provide practicing students with the ability to apply the Alexander Technique with greater independence
- Following this, some students continue to take lessons because they enjoy it and continue to improve; how many lessons you choose is always up to you
- Private lesson: $55 per/lesson.
- Four private lessons pack: $200 (save $20)
- All private lesson are 45 min.
- No special skills or background required
- Daily self-application to life and activities
- 10-15 minutes of specific practice/day
WORDS FROM STUDENTS
"I, like many people I believe, carried the notion that good posture was something that could be attained by simply repeatedly jerking oneself into a rigid up right spinal position over and over until the habit stuck. How gloriously wrong I was! Mark notices habits in myself that I have never noticed before..The Alexander technique is a rare and wonderful thing. It is rare inasmuch as that it is a skill which, unlike many others, has truly life altering consequences. It has helped me, and continues to help me, in many facets of my life."
- Joshua K. (Actor)
“I wholeheartedly recommend Mark Vasak and Alexander Technique to anyone interested in improving their relationship with their body. My Alexander Technique lessons have been invaluable for helping me learn to stay balanced, poised and nimble in many different settings. While I originally came to Alexander technique for help with “posture”, I soon learned how much deeper the work is and have come to find it benefits many areas of my life. Mark is an excellent teacher – helping his students to integrate the material at a profound level while creating a safe and effective learning environment.”
– Owen T. (Occupational Therapist and Ergonomist)
"Years of progressively deteriorating joint health and chronic pain left me feeling very demoralized and dis-empowered to pursue any of the physical exercise that I had always depended on for health and mental balance... thankfully, I stumbled across Mark & the Alexander Technique and started lessons. I keep hoping the lessons will make me younger or reverse some poor life choices in my past, which hasn’t happened yet, but in the meantime they have eliminated a lot of pain and left me feeling like a have the tools and freedom to pursue whatever activities may inspire me. My doctor also tells me I am a half inch taller than I was a year ago!"
“I originally went in to work with breath technique, what also came up was the recurring pain of an old hip injury, and knee problems as a jogger. Working with fundamental concepts gradually addressed it all...Mark is a very patient and thorough teacher, and is always able to describe a concept in a way that any individual can understand...He is always encouraging and is confident in everyone’s potential....”
– Shannon S. (Professional Musician)
“I worked with Mark while training for a summer of two Ultra-marathons. I was experiencing knee pain after long training runs and was becoming very concerned I would not be able to compete. After observing my mechanics and technique Mark got me working on adjustments that were clear, concise and truthfully game-changing for me. Simple visualization exercises, examples, adjustments and calm, confident instruction made making the changes straightforward. Within a very short period, I was running not only pain free, but more efficiently than I ever had, finishing in the top 10% of both races. I highly recommend working with Mark.”
– Kevin W. (Project Manager and Ultra Endurance Athlete)
"Hi Mark, I was in your Alexander Technique workshop... and just wanted to say thank you! What I learned is making a huge impact. What I'm noticing the most is that my lower back pain is practically non-existent now. Usually when I walk around the city long enough, for example, it starts to hurt, but I've recently gone on multi-hour treks, and it's been totally fine! I also feel lighter, and more aware of my body alignment. It's incredible. I'm really happy with the few things you taught us. :) All the best, and thanks again."
-Giovanna. L (Actor and Musician)
"It was a fantastic workshop. I've been struggling with a tight neck and hip issue, the lying down exercise helped me feel release nd train my shoulders to relax back. I as l felt connected when working with text and to my partner."
- Lorraine C. (Workshop Participant, 2018)
"Mark is passionate about teaching the Alexander Technique and I loved the experiential exercises and guidance provided."
- Workshop Participant, 2018
"This technique helped me to isolate and re-align myself. I felt freer when engaging and definitely will strive to incorporate into my daily life and work. Thank-you!"
- Pepper P. (Workshop Participant, 2018)
"Mark, thank-you for helping me realize how stiff I actually am! This should help me make characters different instead of playing myself in different wardrobe changes."
- Workshop Participant, 2018
"Great place to notice the habitual ticks and tensions you didn't realize you had. Mark creates an encouraging, positive environment. Thank-you!"
- Workshop Participant, 2018
Something I found helpful: " That my posture directly affects the quality of my voice", and that "posture affects the connections to voice and feelings in the body". "I look forward to seeing how I can incorporate body movement and the connections that go along with it into my character work and the differences it will make."
- Samm G. (Workshop Participant, 2018)
Something I'll take away from the workshop: "How to think about the spine - how I move, and breathe. How to connect body-voice-thought-expression (and a) realization of my tension - how to release into more free movement and to speak more natural."
- Viola M (Workshop Participant, 2018)
"This workshop illuminated and clarified thoughts I had and couldn't put into words."
- Dante L. (Workshop Participant, 2018)